FiberEdge customers are less likely to lose service during a hurricane because FiberEdge by EATEL is a state-of-the-art network that is mostly under ground. Even in the event of a power outage, most FiberEdge customers can power their EATEL-installed Battery Backup Unit (BBU) with a generator and still have phone, TV and Internet service.
About the BBU
- The BBU is most often a cream-colored box (like the one pictured here), installed near your computer or home alarm panel, in a laundry room or closet. Or, some EATEL customers may have a gray-colored BBU located outside their home. Click here to see all EATEL-installed BBUs. (Note: each customer has only one BBU.)
- If you have difficulty locating your BBU, call us at 621-4300 and we will help you find it.
- To conserve power during an outage, the BBU will power your phone service ONLY until the internal battery is depleted—unless it is connected to a generator or other power source.
- If connected to a generator the BBU will power all FiberEdge services – Phone, TV and Internet.†
IMPORTANT NOTE: Electronic devices such as cordless phones, TVs, desktop computers, wired and wireless routers will not work even if the BBU is powered and functioning properly, since they require their own supply of electricity. These devices must be plugged into a generator or other power source to operate. A traditional corded phone that connects only to a phone jack (and not an electrical outlet) will work if the BBU is powered and functioning properly. (See “check the BBU lights” below.) LightWave TV customers:
Be sure to power your Residential Gateway Unit (RGU)
, shown here on the right, and any set-top boxes
in addition to your TV(s) to power your LightWave TV service.
How to connect your BBU to a generator
- Locate the BBU inside or outside your home.
It is most often installed near your computer or home alarm panel, in a laundry room or closet. Click here to see all EATEL-installed BBUs. (Note: each customer has only one BBU.)
- Power the BBU.
Run an extension cord from your generator to the BBU and plug it in.
- Check the BBU lights.*
If the “AC” and “Output” lights are green, the BBU is powered and functioning and your TV,
Internet & phone services are connected. (See below for additional details about the BBU
Understanding the BBU indicator lights (Inside BBU only.)*
Phone, TV and Internet services are available.
If the "AC' and "OUTPUT" lights are green, your BBU has power and all services are available.
Phone services only.
If the "AC' light is yellow, the "OUTPUT" light is green, the BBU is using its own battery power, and only phone service is available. You must plug your BBU into a generator or other power source to access TV and Internet services.
If all indicator lights are unlit, the BBU's internal battery has been depleted and is not being powered by a generator; therefore, no services are available.
* Outside BBUs do not have indicator lights.
If you have any questions about connecting your EATEL services during a power outage, please call 621-4300